How to test your remote signal (infra-red remotes)
1. Confirm that the batteries are inserted correctly and that they are good working batteries. Note: sometimes "brand new" batteries are dead.
2. Turn your digital camera on, or if using a cell phone, open the camera app. Note: iPhone backside cameras do not work; you must use the front-facing camera instead.
3. Point the top side edge of the remote where the IR Emitter is located towards the camera lens.
4. Press each button you want to test on the remote while viewing the IR emitter on the digital camera screen. While looking at the camera screen, you will see the remote; If working, you will see a flickering light coming from the remote.
Buttons that will not work on any remote control:
• Device select buttons (i.e., MODE). Examples: TV / DVD / VCR / Cable / SAT buttons.
• Program or Setup buttons.
If the remote control WORKS, you will see a flickering or steady light coming from the eye of the remote through the camera screen. Check every button on the remote to make sure they all work. If all buttons show a light, then there is no need to repair or buy a new remote; possibly, your base device needs to be fixed. If the remote is universal, then it may need to be reprogrammed.
Some buttons work, and some don't.
If some of the buttons do not work, then your remote may also work for other modes, and the different modes may need to be selected first for the corresponding buttons to emit a signal. If your remote has the option to program to other modes, then this could be your problem. Press one of the other mode buttons first, then try again.
However, if the remote PARTIALLY WORKS, you will see the light with only some buttons being pressed. Or you will not see the light until you press a button hard enough due to the wearing of the remote keys. This problem is easily fixed.
Professionally Repaired - Our repair techs can repair your remote for you; Click here to start the repair order.
DIY - Repair the remote yourself by ordering our Key-Pad-Repair Kit.
Purchase New - Search our website using the model number on your remote, and we will give you options for replacing it.
Most common buttons do not work due to their wearing of them:
• Channel up/down
• Volume up/down
• Keypad numbers
If the remote does not work, you will not see the light for any of the buttons pressed.